Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Is That Coffee and Lunch Worth Missing a Vacation?

American workers spend an estimated $3,000 a year on weekly coffee and lunch. Spread that across 30 years, and that's $90K without interest, a nice bit of pocket change.

I must admit I never looked at it that way. But that's a lot of money that can be save by packing a lunch and skipping java. I can easily take a nice vacation somewhere for $3K. Oh the madness! The things we do to ourselves without realizing it.

Well, there is a reason we do certain things, according to Cornell University behavioral economist David Just, who studies our eating choices. He explains why it is more difficult for some people in a Huffington Post article. 

But MoneyTalks News' video really brings it home with the $90,000 lunch. Check it out.

Now, I will confess I'm not giving up my coffee. I generally sip a cup a day, but it's free at work. The coffee I drink at home more than pays for itself at $1 a bag. But the article certainly has reinforced my habit of packing a lunch.

Vacation, here I come!

What are some of the spending habits you have that you think can be eliminated to save money?


No comments:

Post a Comment