Friday, April 4, 2014

A Simple Super Snack Anytime


What's your super anytime snack? Or do you have one?

I have several, but one of my favorite ones comes from my childhood when my mom and I would cook it before watching a great movie or show together. Can you guess what it is?
If you guessed popcorn, you're right!

Back then, processed foods/prepackaged foods were really breaking through the market. My favorite was Jolly Time popcorn. You could watch the foil rise as the popcorn popped on the stove right before your eyes. For a kid, that was just so cool and fun. You really thought you were "cooking.". The popcorn was great, too. I have to laugh about that now.

As I became a teen, I skipped the cooking and bought bags of cooked/prepared popcorn from store shelves. It was so much "easier." Needless to say, neither of those options were the healthiest. They were just convenient. Jolly Time, along with other brands, now offer healthier, low-cal popcorn.

But I have a simple tip for you: Cook your popcorn. It's quick, easy and tasty. No store-bought popcorn comes close to the taste of home-cooked popcorn. You can add the type and amount of seasonings to suit your taste and dietary needs or eat it plain.

I use olive oil to cook a pot of popcorn. I then create individual servings in sandwich baggies, making this snack ready to eat anytime and for any occasion. I give the bags to guests who want a small snack, and I pack a bag with my lunch.
Sometimes, I add seasonings. Sometimes, I eat it plain. It's always a winner.





No comments:

Post a Comment