Friday, August 8, 2014

Freshen Up Your Meals With Herbs

Dill with flower buds (Wikipedia)
During the summer, I cook with fresh vegetables and herbs grown in my garden as often as possible. It's one summer activity I wish I could do year-round because of the savings and the flavor fresh herbs and vegetables add to food.

Three herbs worth trying, especially for newbies, are basil, dill and parsley. They can be used in a variety of dishes as garnish and/or flavoring. I use fresh basil on all my homemade pizza and spaghetti sauce. I use parsley as a lettuce substitute on tacos and in salads.

Harvested Dill (Wikipedia)
Dill flavors my pasta salads as well as rice. Most people use only dill fronds, or leaves, but this herb's tip through tail as well as its flower can be used in cooking. For more information on how to use dill, read this article.



No comments:

Post a Comment