Monday, August 11, 2014

7 Slow Cooker Desserts For the Time-Pressed

Slow cookers aren't just for stews and soups (Wikipedia)
You've been craving that peach cobbler you devoured at the church banquet, a friend's party or your mother's table. Deep down inside, you know you're not a baker. More important, you either don't have the time or don't want to invest the time to make this down-home dessert. But that doesn't stop your cravings for a warm, slice of cobbler topped with yummy ice cream.

You're stuck with going to a grocery store and buying a frozen cobbler or praying someone has pity on you and bakes you one. Well, not quite.

Even though my first love of cooking comes through baking, I don't always have the time or energy to prepare desserts for myself or guests. I, too, have had to dash to the local grocer to grab a cake, pie or tort for parties or because I was time-pressed. To solve that problem, I've found or created different recipes for really simple, quick desserts. They're just as satisfying as the ones that take several hours to prepare and bake and, in some cases, are less fattening. One of my favorites in peach cobbler in 15 minutes. I'll have to share that one with you later.

But I've found several dessert recipes for those facing similar time, talent and mood challenges. What I like about these desserts is they are all baked in a slow cooker. Yes, the kitchen gadget, sometimes called the crock pot, best known and appreciated for cooking soups, chili and stews. This makes having that dessert accessible just about anytime for the most baker-challenged and busiest among us. You whip up the ingredients put them in the slow cooker, and let it work its magic while you shop, study, nap, clean up or finish whatever else you need to do.

Now, that brings a smile to my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment